Weird Historical Facts
Here are some strange, silly and weird historical facts that will set you wonder what made them the rule of the times. Some of these dumb facts in history and cultures of the past have filtered down to our times in a very different form than from the time when they were originated:
- 3000 years ago, most Egyptians were considered old and died by the age of 30.
- Amount American Airlines proved how economy could make us save a fortune by saving $40,000 in 1987 by eliminating just one olive from each salad served in first class.
- Ancient Egyptians used slabs of stones as pillows.
- In 1962, the schools in Tanganyika had to be closed because of an outbreak of contagious laughter that lasted for six months!
- In 1980, workers in a Las Vegas hospital were suspended because they use to bet on when patients would die.
- In ancient China, doctors could receive fees only if their patient was cured. If it deteriorated, they would have to pay the patient.
- In ancient Egypt, people shaved eyebrows as a mourning symbol when their cats died.
- In the 1800s, if you attempted suicide and failed, you would have to face the death penalty.
- Niagara Falls experienced a break of half an hour in 1848, when an ice jam blocked the source river.
- People have been wearing glasses for about 700 years.
- Lochness Monster inhabits the fresh water lake of Scotland.
- Spider webs were used to cure warts during the Middle Ages.
- The custom of shaking hands with the strangers originated to show that both the parties were unarmed.
- The number of people over hundred increased from 4,000 in 1960 to 55,000 in 1995 in US alone.